So I’m back on the diet bandwagon, you will probably be seeing a lot more healthy posts for a while. At least you better, because I really need to stick with it! Keep me in check! I do have a few remaining “unhealthy” recipes to post, so don’t fuss at me too much. Here’s one of the healthy ones…
So not only was this a low-cal recipe, it tasted really great. It was super easy to make and got me wondering about other meal possibilities that I could put in a lettuce wrap. So yummy!
Asian Lettuce Wraps
Recipe from Gourmet Day to Day
For the sauce:
4 tsp hoisin sauce
4 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
freshly ground black pepper
For the filling:
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large shallot, minced
1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrot blend
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup green apple, finely diced (sounds weird but just go with it!)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp Sriracha (I actually forgot this and am SO bummed because I love it!)
Lettuce, for wrapping
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add oil to a medium skillet and let it heat up over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and shallot and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with your spoon. Once done, create a well in the middle of the pan and add the peas and carrot mixture, onion and bell pepper. Cook until tender, about three minutes.
- Add the sauce, apples, sriracha and green onion and cook for another minute or so, stirring to mix, until the sauce is heated through and has slightly thickened.
- Serve on fresh lettuce as a wrap.